With new technology comes with new updates and new software or applications that involves now from cell phones going thru tablets, laptops , computers and desk phones. For the same reason you need to make sure that your devices such as headsets need to be running the latest firmware. But , what is firmware? Where can I get it? Should I get it? Some of the questions that can fright anyone , and we will analyze this topic today.
Firmware is a software program or set of instructions programmed on a hardware device, and it is really important to have the latest one in your desk phone and on your wireless headset in order to get the best performance on your devices. Not so be confused with software update. The main reason of firmware update is fixed data as part of a hardware device, such hardware include smart phones, tablets, laptops, desktops and now… your desk phone!
New desk phones have now built in wireless connection and nice screens that allow you to even receive voicemails and notifications like you receive them in your cell phone, also known as visual voicemail. And you can even put a screensaver picture on your desk phone just as you can do it on your computer.
The main reason to have the latest firmware on the desk phones is to make sure that the EHS remote answering switch will allow you to answer and end calls. Yealink , Polycom and Cisco are some examples of the most common issue of the Electronic Hook Switch (EHS) not answering or ending calls. In order to verify if you have the latest firmware in your phone, you need to check in the desk phone , depending on the model and brand, some phones will have built in wireless, you will need to go into the navigation menu and then check the version of firmware that is currently in the phone, and compare it against the manufacturer website. If the phone is connected to the internet via WiFi or a network adapter, depending the manufacturer you can update to the latest firmware by just selecting “Update Firmware” in the same navigation menu. Some other models will require a little more steps, but each manufacturer has its own instructions on their websites.
Another reason to have the latest firmware in your desk phone is the integration of soft phone phone systems like RingCentral, or Skype for Business to mention some others. I will recommend to always check your soft phone version with your provider using their software to get the best performance.
The latest firmware update will add new features to your current desk phone like making phone book searches easier by just pressing the first letters of a contact name or even show time and weather on real time if the phone has an advanced screen.
Another reason to have the latest firmware is to fix bugs from previous firmware and increase the security on the same unit to avoid hackers to make unauthorized use of the desk phone, which is an important matter in the Corporate level.
Another feature that can be added by latest firmware is the “Do not disturb” feature or enhance the function in order to work more properly. Amazing feature when you have a meeting and you can not answer the phone or be interrupted by phone calls.
Headsets with Active Noise canceling and UC capable need to be updated on their firmware from time to time in order to have the latest soft phone software patches. If you need help on choosing a right headset for your desk phone , do not hesitate to give us a call , we will be more than happy to help you choose the best headset for your needs.
The best way to have your headset updated is using either the Plantronics Hub or the Jabra Xpress software. Using those tools you can update to the latest firmware on your Plantronics 8220 or your Engage 65 headset. If have any questions on any of these headsets feel free to give a call to us at headsetplus.com 877-999-3838, we will be more than happy to answer your questions.
Updating the firmware on headsets is not just for desk phones but it is for USB wireless headsets like the Plantronics 8200 or the Jabra Evolve 75, these headsets require it mainly of the main use with cell phones or tablets, so they can be compatible with the latest virtual assistants like Siri, Alexa or Google. I personally use my Jabra Evolve 75 with my iPhone and my Plantronics headset with my Tablet , mainly to watch movies and webinars. I do enjoy the seamless integration of Siri and Cortana after getting the latest firmware. If have any questions about the Plantronics 8200 or the Jabra Evolve 75 feel free to give George a call in headsetplus.com to the 877-999-3838
The Best Cisco IP Phone Compatible Headset Reviews:
You have a Cisco 7900, 8900, 9900 series IP phones (Cisco models 6921, 6941, 6945, 6961, 7821, 7841, 7861, 7931G, 7940, 7940G, 7941, 7941G, 7942G, 7945, 7945G, 7960, 7960G, 7961, 7961G, 7962, 7965G, 7970, 7970G, 7971G, 7975G, 7985G, 8811, 8841, 8851, 8861, 8865, 8941, 8945, 8945G, 8961, 9951, 9971 ) in your office and you’re looking for the best headsets? Look no further. HeadsetPlus.com have professional quality Cisco certified headsets price range from $70 – $300, depending on your budget, style and features. The more expensive headset models offer triple connectivity – connecting to the Cisco desk phone, computer (via USB), and cell phone (like iPhone). The lower end only connect to only your Cisco deskphone. Of course the more expensive models are typically better built with better components and better sound quality. Below is some of our best Cisco compatible headsets:
1) Jabra Biz 1500 Mono Cisco Compatible Headset – only $74.95
This Jabra Biz 1500 headset is very popular among large call centers and large offices due to its price point. It’s an entry level headset with many of the features of the more expensive models like noise canceling microphone, bendable boom, and a full 2 year warranty. It’s pre-bundled with the Cisco certified adapter cable, so nothing else is needed for your Cisco phone, simply plug and go!
2) Jabra Biz 2300 Duo Cisco Certified Compatible Headset The Jabra Biz 2300 series is the middle-of-the-line Cisco compatible headset. This Biz 2300 duo is a binaural headset covering both ears. It’s a good headset to cover both ears for noisy office where you need to focus on your phone call. It also has a noise canceling mic to filter out the background noise for your caller – so he doesn’t hear your co-workers’ conversation or the typing on your keyboard. The Jabra Biz 2300 cord is Kevlar re-enforced so it’s not easily broken, even if you accidentally run over it with your office chair. It also has a 2 year warranty. If it fails within 2 years, Jabra will replace it for you at no charge.
3) Plantronics HW540-CIS Cisco IP Phone Headset This Plantronics HW540-CIS is very popular because it’s a “convertible” headset. In the same headset package, it comes with 3 different wearable attachments (over-the-head, over-the-ear, and behind the neck). So, if the office worker is not sure which style he/she likes, this is the perfect headset for you. You get all 3 wear styles, so you’re not stuck with any one wearing style. It’s lightweight and equipped with High definition and wide band audio sound for the most natural sounding voice. It’s also pre-packaged with the Cisco certified cable.
4) Plantronics HW710-CIS Noise-canceling Cisco IP Phone The Plantronics HW710 is the top of the line corded Cisco headset. It has all the bells and whistles that’s available in a corded headset. Built from lightweight composite material, reinforced headband, best noise canceling microphone technology available, plush leatherette ear cushions, HD/wide band sound, and a retractable microphone so it’s adjustable perfectly to your mouth. Like the others, it’s also bundled with the Cisco certified adapter cable needed to use with your Cisco phone.
5) Plantronics CS540+EHS Wireless Headset with Remote Answer Bundle for Cisco This is our top selling Wireless Headset bundle for Cisco IP phones. It’s pre-bundled with the necessary Cisco EHS cable (electronic hookswitch) so it provides ability to remote answer your Cisco phone. Plantronics CS540 wireless headset is very popular headset due to its convertible headset options. You can wear the headset either over-the-head or over-head-ear. It’s very lightweight (only 0.7oz) for all day comfort and has a sleek design. Of course it has all the top headset features like wideband audio, digital signal processing, and soundguard protection for noise spikes.
This headset is the newest and best wireless headset on the market. This headset is the upgraded replacement for the Plantronics Savi 700 series. It has all the same great features and even more! The most notable feature added to this headset is the active noise canceling headphones. When you’re in a loud environment, this headset will actually block out background noise for the user and not just the customer on the other end. You will have an improved 590ft line of sight range and 13 hours of talk time. You will still also be able to connect to 3 devices using the same headset. Your Cisco phone, a USB device, a Bluetooth device. This headset comes with everything you need, including remote answering. Remote answering is the ability to answer and end phone calls away from your desk, simply by activating the headset. The Savi 8200 series is by far the best headset on the market.
To see the whole line of Cisco Compatible Headsets, go to www.HeadsetPlus.com
Tired of the poor quality audio from the speaker phone on your Cisco IP Phone (7900 series phones). The caller can’t hear you clearly, you voice sounds like you’re in a tunnel or far away. ClearOne has a solution for you. The ClearOne Chat 150 Cisco (910-156-220) Speaker phone attaches to your Cisco IP phone’s headset jack and becomes a professional quality personal speaker/conference phone on your desk.
No need to install additional phone line for the conference phone. Simply install the ClearOne Chat 150 Cisco into the headset port of your Cisco IP 7900 (794x, 796x, 797x) series phone models 7940, 7940G, 7941, 7941G, 7942G, 7945, 7945G, 7960, 7960G, 7961, 7961G, 7962G, 7965G, 7970, 7970G, 7971G, 7975G. You will get clear audio with a true full-duplex HD audio processing conference phone. Typical office speaker phone only provide half-duplex speaker phone capabilities (both parties cannot speak at the same time). With three (3) built-in microphones that allows 360-deg full audio pickup for anyone sitting anywhere around the desk. In addition, it has echo cancellation for the best possible audio for your conference call – whether is for yourself or for a conference call with 10 people.
The ClearOne Chat 150 Cisco can also be used as a computer speakerphone along with softphones VoIP software such as Skype, WebX, etc with the USB cable included in the package.
If you have any other questions on this ClearOne Chat 150 or other Cisco related products please give us a call at 1-877-999-3838
Are you using a Cisco phone 7800, 8800 and DX600 series and have a need for a secure conversation while you’re on the phone? (i.e. government office like the CIA, FBI, etc).
For example, if you don’t want your caller to hear all the background conversation while you’re on the phone. Clarity Walker has a solution. It’s their new Clarity Walker WS-2835 Cisco Phone 7800 8800 DX600 PTT Handset. It’s a Push-To-Talk Handset (Receiver) that replaces your existing Cisco phone receiver.
You simply replace the existing handset with this Clarity Walker PTT handset. While you’re on the phone, only push the button while talking, so it doesn’t pick up any conversations in the office when you’re “not talking”.
It’s compatible with Cisco 7821, 7841, 7861, 8811, 8841, 8845, 8851, 8861, 8865 and DX660 phones.
If you have other Cisco models like the Cisco 7900 series phones. There is the Clarity Walker WS-2620-24 Cisco Phone 7900 Push-To-Talk Handset that’s compatible. If you have the Cisco 6900, 8900 and 9900 series phones, the Clarity Walker WS-2800 Cisco Phone 6900 8900 9900 PTT Handset is also available.
Call HeadsetPlus.com if you have further questions. We have Cisco handset (and headset specialists that can help you) 877-999-3838.
Office Telephone Secure Communication using Push-to-Talk Headset or Handset
Are you in an office where you need extra security (i.e. secure conversation) for your office telephone calls whiling using your office desk phone? You don’t want your background conversation to be heard by the by the caller. HeadsetPlus.com has several solutions for you, you can either use a Plantronics corded headset or simply replace the handset (receiver) of the telephone if you have a Cisco IP Phone.
Using a Plantronics headset:
This adapter allows you to use any Plantronics corded headset with any desk phone you may have. We recommend the Plantronics HW710 HW291N EncorePro Noise-canceling Headset along with the SSP1051-03 PTT adapter:
You will also need a bottom cable or amplifier, depending on the phone. Call us for assistance 877-999-3838. This Push-to-talk cable only allow your caller to hear your conversation only, not the background conversation when you’re not talking.
Using a PTT Handset for Cisco Phone:
Simply replace your existing handset on your Cisco 7900 series phone with this Cisco PTT handset. Using the PTT switch on the handset, you can eliminate any background conversation when you’re not talking. If you have a Cisco 6900, 7800, 8800, 8900 or 9900 series phone, use the PTT handset below:
These PTT devices are for desk phones (office phone), not to be confused with Push-to-talk devices for 911/police/air traffic control dispatch centers, where a “radio” is used. see here for those devices: Headsets for Radio Dispatch, 911 Emergency or Air traffic controller
If you have any questions on any of these Push-to-Talk solutions or Headset products, Feel free to contact any one of our Headset specialists at HeadsetPlus.com toll free 877-999-3838.
HeadsetPlus.com have many Headsets that are compatible with Cisco CIPC (Cisco IP Communicator), Cisco Jabber, formerly known as Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (CUPC) softphones. Cisco IP Communicator is a Windows or Mac software that allows you to make phone and video calls using your computer. Furthermore, CIPU version 8.6.3 allows plug-and-play for Windows based computers with certain Plantronics USB models (Voyager Legend UC, Plantronics Savi W440 , All Blackwire USB headsets), the user no longer need to download additional software to have call control functions. Version 8.6.2 and earlier, you must download Plantronics Spoke software.
Cisco VoiP Phone Headset Compatibility
(Also see the Cisco IP Phone 79xx Headsets page for the list of compatible headsets)
Plantronics Cisco Headsets: (see below for Jabra Compatible Cisco Headsets).
Plantronics has a wide variety of products made exclusively for Cisco IP phones. Most Cisco IP phones have a dedicated headset port built-in which you can plug a headset directly into. Please see our Direct connect Cisco headset page for the latest headsets recommended for your Cisco phone.
Cisco Unified IP Phones 69xx, 794x, 796x, 797x series (Cisco models 6921, 6941, 6945, 6961, 7821, 7841, 7861, 7931G, 7940, 7940G, 7941, 7941G, 7942G, 7945, 7945G, 7960, 7960G, 7961, 7961G, 7965G, 7970, 7970G, 7971G, 7975G, 7985G, 8941, 8945, 8961, 9951, 9971): see our Plantronics Cisco Headsets page, which all have the Cisco “-CIS” part number. These headsets are per-configured with a RJ9 modular plug so they are compatible with the headset port of your Cisco IP telephone.
Cisco IP Phone 7902G, 7905G, 7910G+SW and 7912G, you will need the Plantronics H-Series headsets + Plantronics M22 Vista amplifier. These phone models does not have a dedicated headset port and requires the use of an amplifier.
Cisco Soft phone: You can use any one of our USB Headsets (VOIP Headsets)
Cisco Compatible Plantronics Wireless Headset Systems: Wireless headsets are design to be installed into the “handset” (not headset) port of your Cisco IP phone:
- Plantronics CS540 Wireless Headset, Convertible Headset (our most popular)
- Plantronics CS510 Wireless Headset, Monaural Headset
- Plantronics CS520 Wireless Headset, Binaural Headset
- Plantronics CS530 Wireless Headset, Over the Ear Headset
Cisco Compatible Amplifiers
Cisco Compatible Accessories and add-on’s
- For Cisco IP Phone models 7975G, 7965G, 7945G, 7962G, and 7942G, you can use Plantronics APC-42
- For Cisco IP models 8961 9951 9971, you need the Plantronics APU-71 Hook Switch Cable
- Plantronics HL10 Lifter
- Cisco Adapter Cable (2.5 mm to QD) – #65287-01 (2.5mm to Quick-Disconnect adapter cable. Required for IP Phone model 7920)
Jabra Cisco Headsets:
Cisco Compatible Jabra Wireless Headset Systems*: These wireless headsets are design to be installed into the “handset” port of your Cisco phone, even if you have a built-in headset port.
- Jabra Pro 920 Wireless Headset System
- Jabra Pro 925 Dual Connectivity Bluetooth Wireless Headset
- Jabra Pro 9450 Midi-Boom Wireless Headset System
- Jabra Pro 9470 Wireless Headset System 9400 series
- Jabra Pro 9460 Flex Wireless Headset System 9400 series
* GN 1000 RHL lifter is recommend if you need remote answering capabilities. If you have Cisco IP Phone models: 7942G, 7945G, 7962G, 7965G and 7975G, you can use the Jabra EHS 9400, 6400 Headset Hook Switch Adapter Cisco IP Phones